My Blog List

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A Private House by Anthony Hyde




Set in Cuba with very interesting characterization, it brought out the best and the worst of a failing economy where normal citizens are so deprived that they resort to every imaginable scam possible to find a buck. Alongside that is the story of a rather naive woman, trying to find the young lover of a friend of hers to give him a legacy that has been bequeathed to him.

It was a conflicting story and at times the numerous characters confused me as to what their role in the story was, and how it was going to end. Two women one is Lorraine seeking the elusive Amado and then there is Mathilde a journalist looking at the Cuban revolution through an exiled American, a former Black Panther.

Since my knowledge of the Cuban Revolution was scant, and even less knowledgeable about the role of America in the whole scenario, I found the historical snippets very good reading and enjoyed this. The complications brought about the sordidness of poverty and trying to rook everyone who came within their sphere, left me feeling a bit dismayed, but that is hard core facts which cannot be denied and cannot be sugar coated. When life gets tough, you've just got to survive and this is one way of doing so.

I was still left dissatisfied at the end of the story as its pretty open ended but I did read it right to the end!

Sent to me by Endeavour Press through Netgalley for an unbiased review.

1 comment:

  1. I need some resolution at the end. Good for you reading it all.

    ReplyDelete