My Blog List

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Beyond the Fight by Carol Preston





The First World War setting is quite commonplace but this was unusual because the setting was Australia. It was my first read of WW background in Australia and the subject of internment of those immigrants of German origin was another first for me. I did not know this happened in Australia as well.

Percy has not gone on with his father - there have been differences of opinion on various subjects and it has now come to a head with the internment of German origin Australians. The bombshell that he is not his father's son makes him re think his ideas for his future, and pursue a career in the field of telecommunications and specifically telephones, a rather new field in Australia and one which is met with scepticsm amongst many.

Meeting Mabel unexpectedly is the beginning of a romance but with many complications. Percy has to maneuver his way through a minefield of his background, his job and the overwhelming odds of Mabel's mother who dislikes him on sight and is determined to dislike him forever!

A very nicely told romance, with overtones of history and life in Australia during this period of WWI very well told.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Rhiza Press.























5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read a war story set in Australia either. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for getting your NetGalley books reviewed! I stopped requesting for now because I wasn't keeping up at all. This book sounds like a good one for historical fiction readers looking for a new setting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that WWII affected almost every country. I have not however read a story with WWII and Australia as its setting. I think I would definitely enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds worth checking out. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand why you would be drawn by this cover! Sounds like a good story too.

    ReplyDelete