My Blog List

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Millers Valley by Anna Quindlen




This story is one which lots of readers will identify with. Mother has her favourite son. She does not show it openly but it is very well known. The eldest is clever and the daughter of the house turns out to be the cleverest. She is also the one who will sacrifice her personal needs to those of the family. She will also with all the odds stacked against her be most successful professionally.

A very middle class background and strong ties to the area where she was born ties Mimi to her family. She knows she has the brains to do something more with her life than waitressing but she doesn't seem to know the way to reach that point. When she does reach her goals, she is quite firm in what she wants to do and what she doesnt want to do.

The portrayal of Mimi and her entire family was very well done. I loved the strong willed mother, the equally adamant father, the eccentric aunt who hid secrets till the end and all the myriad boyfriends and friends of Mimi who came together in this story.

A family saga, a coming of age, a realisation of dreams, all put together to give one a classic.

Thanks to Netgalley for sending this on to me for an unbiased review, courtesy of Random House Publishing Group - Random House.

5 comments:

  1. I'm interested in the 'drowned towns' aspect of this book. Thanks for the good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this myself but listened to the audio version which was very well done. My very first experience of this author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of this book, but I haven't started it yet. After reading your review I'm really excited about starting it. Thanks for visiting my blog,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely on my list - will probably get the audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a book that's going to stay with me for a long time - definitely a reread!

    ReplyDelete