My Blog List

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Death Comes to Pemberley by P D James

Death Comes to Pemberley


I love P D James's books and am always looking out for those I've missed. Coming across this one in Melbourne's library was a good one for me. I was totally taken aback though when I realised it is a JA variation of our much loved Elizabeth and Darcy with the setting of Pemberley.

Elizabeth and Darcy have settled into their married life very well. After initial hesitations on the part of many Elizabeth has now been accepted as being an extremely suitable wife and mistress of this great estate. Darcy has mellowed and with two sons in the nursery their joy in life seems complete. Their peaceful world is however about to be destroyed by the advent of Lydia and Wickham who embroil the whole family in murder, mystery and mayhem.

Taking us through the murder and the mystery in usual P D James's inimitable style, one marvels how the characters of Elizabeth and Darcy are used in the deduction and solving of a crime which would be comparable to any present day crime.

Marvellously told, beautiful characterization and descriptive in the most effective detail this was a wonderful read.

3 comments:

  1. Nice review! I haven't read any of PD James's mysteries yet. I must give them a try. I did start listening to this book on audio but the narrator made me sleepy. I will definitely give it a try in print. I am planning to watch the TV miniseries as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a PD James book in a while but I love her work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a PD James book but I'd try this one!

    ReplyDelete