My Blog List

Monday, November 30, 2015

The Sea Keeper's Daughters by Lisa Wingate



I very seldom get my hands on a book of American history so when I do I am very interested.

Roosevelt WPA and the writings was something new to me. It is a good idea to get all that unwritten history and folklore down into the written form. After some time the old stories, the fables will die out and none of the present generation will have a clue as to the significance of most things in the past.

Set in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, a story which is of survival and the tenacious fight back of a single woman Whitney to save her business from political thuggery and a competitor who wants to see her drown. Added to that is the history and writings of a bye gone era of Alice and Tom and their tragic end. The chronicles that are stored are finally unearthed and history is finally written and preserved.

Lots of historical detail and descriptive of the region the book also epitomizes the fight by a gutsy woman determined not to let go, despite over riding odds.

The book was sent to me by Netgalley courtesy of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book - I haven't come across this era in US history in historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that region and will have to look for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had some good reads... you are adding to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete