My Blog List

Saturday, August 22, 2015

my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry by Fredrik Backman



Not an easy book to review at all!

Elsa is a seven year old - a very different seven year old. Someone who understands Wikipedia, who knows that someone's grammar is very wrong and has no hesitation in correcting her/him and most important a person who knows the value of silence. She is intelligent, smart, empathetic, compassionate and oh so very different.

Her grandmother is her best friend, mother comes in at a far second. When her grandmother dies and leaves a series of letters to people saying she is sorry for so many things she has done, the adventure begins.  It is a magical story that took me a little while to get into the spirit of but once it does, it envelops one so that you do want to know how this story is going to end.

I felt a bit sad once the book ended because you would like to have a sequel to Elsa's life. Elsa can never be the girl next door. She is destined for great things and all because she was different.

The book was sent to me by Netgalley courtesy of Atria Books.

10 comments:

  1. Have you read A Man Called Ove? I wasn't a big fan of that book (too light and fluffy for me) so I haven't tried this one. You make it sound quite interesting though. WOnder if I should give it a try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your review. I would like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved A Man Called Ove but I have been hesitant to pick this up. Glad you liked it even though it took some time to get into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved A Man Called OVE but had a bit harder time warming up to this one. I thought it was good but not as good as OVE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I read it I would read it in Swedish, not a translation for once

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this as much as I did The Man Called Ove

    Have a great week Mystica

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree it was a tough one to review. I loved parts of this one but A Man Called Ove was absolutely wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am intrigued, and will look into it. As a new grandmother, I am interested in all things grandmother these days!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete