My Blog List

Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell

The Third Wife

My reviews remain short as I am posting from my IPad and from areas where the Internet is sketchy.

This one a download from Edelweiss was a gem.  Posted as a mix of Liane Moriarty and Jojo Moyes it did not disappoint.  Like Moriarty it kept you guessing almost to the end, and upto the end kept you even when you knew who did it, on the edge. You did want to know what Daddy would do.
So glad I got this one.

Adrian has it made. His third wife Maya gets on very well with Susie Wife No 1 and Caroline Wife No 2. So well even I felt uncomfortable. It was not quite right. It didn't sit well with me that two adult children, three littlies and three wives could all be so smooth and comfortable.

Yes, dig deeper and the cracks are showing. Adrian (don't want to stereotype) but like most men, don't see what is apparent to all. Maya was not happy. She tried to conform, she wanted to be accepted so she bent over backwards to please. And please she did but everyone had reservations and then it began to show in small, niggling ways  and then it began in nasty, biting emails. All vicious, all very knowledgeable and all pointing in one direction.

The characterizations were brilliant. Each one individual and different. The storyline great. Finished it in one go.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds really good Mystica, I haven't read anything by Lisa Jewell but have read other reviews of her other books and readers seem to enjoy. Mixture of Moriarty and Moyes - excellent recommendation. Putting in my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Jewell's The House We Grew Up In and loved it so I'll have to find this one!

    ReplyDelete