My Blog List

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Dreaming Spies by Laurie R. King




This was a very good read which shows Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russel capturing the imagination in a classic mystery escapade.


Set alternately in England and a cruise ending in Japan we encounter the adventures of the couple on a seemingly random mystery - a passenger overboard, a blackmailing peer who never got caught, an unusual acrobat of an Oriental - all seemingly unconnected and with no connection to the couple who were seeking a pleasant holiday and rest.


All is not what it seems though. Breaking journey in Japan was on the cards as it is a country they have not been to. They did not plan that they would spend it the way they did. Travelling third class and on a schedule which was tough, they follow a mysterious plan to meet a mysterious man not knowing that their target is the highest in the land - the Prince Regent of Japan who is now being blackmailed and seeks their help in getting an article back from the devious Lord Darley.


How the story goes back again to England and the resurgence of our Haruki Sato - who very quietly and efficiently pulls the wool over both Russel and Holmes's eyes is masterful. Both are played by the inscrutable Japanese - all in a good way for a good cause.


Humorous, detailingly descriptive and slow paced on the whole, it kept my interest from beginning to end.


This was a book sent to me by Netgalley courtesy of Random Group Publishing House - Bantam Deli. Many thanks for this book.

7 comments:

  1. I need to get that series because I think my mother, my sister, and I would all like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks tempting...enjoy! And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds a great read, Mystica. I read her Bones of Paris novel - another suspenseful mystery - so I'm sure this will match the great cover :)
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun mystery. I will eventually start this series. Someday. I hope sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read this series forever! Maybe this will finally be the year to start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, an enjoyable series, though I am a few behind now - you encourage me to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of all the Sherlock continuations, this is one of the best series. I will have to check the first one out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete