My Blog List

Monday, December 22, 2014

Mailbox Monday/It's Monday! What are you reading?








Coming to the meme after an absence of a week. These three courtesy of Netgalley.






        






Hosted by Sheila at Bookjourney.




2a




Very little reading is being done - got back from Vietnam which was a totally different kind of holiday - didn't enjoy the constant political history. Very little cultural insights into the country because their entire focus is on the Vietnam war and the horrific results todate. A huge country with a vast agricultural industry and being an agriculturalist myself this is one part I enjoyed. Developing fast so I am glad I saw it like this.


Now its Christmas week but we have no major preparations as celebrations are extremely low key in our household and have been since our children left home years ago.  So many Sri Lankan parents are in the same category as due to civil war, lots of parents sent their children overseas for security reasons, but the older folk still seem to carry out Christmassy traditions and rituals. Putting up the tree, decorating the house, making the traditional cake and wine and sweets is still a must.  I admire them for it but I gave it all up and just enjoy it in other people's houses!


Reading bits and pieces from several books, enjoying TV specials and work going on as usual. Rather mundane for this time of the year.













12 comments:

  1. Mystica, your trip to Vietnam must have been both fun and a learning experience. I have heard of Sri Lankans celebrating Christmas in its true spirit though it can't be half as much fun without the kids around.

    I'm curious about the Marylee MacDonald novels; perhaps, because of the fine cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cover of your copy of First Frost - quite different from mine. Can't wait to read it!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry your holiday wasn't as enjoyable as you hoped and though your Christmas my hay be decoration free I hope you enjoy the spirit of the holidays!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! Our Christmas is much more low key than it used to be too. My mom always talks fondly of her childhood Christmases in Sri Lanka and this year she was planning to make rich cake but didn't have the time.

    I hope you enjoy First Frost. I am currently reading it and I like it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great holiday, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    I am looking forward to reading First Frost.

    I love the new Captcha, with a check mark instead of deciphering hard to read letters...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You picked up some tempting titles from Netgalley! I'm looking forward to reading First Frost too. Happy reading & happy holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy all of your books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear your trip wasn't as you hoped. I look forward to reading First Frost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cover of Montpelier Tomorrow.

    First Frost looks good too.

    ENJOY your books and your holiday week.

    Sorry about your trip.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  10. All three of your new books look like they will be good.

    I am sorry your trip to Vietnam wasn't more fruitful. It sounds like you were able to find some enjoyment out of your trip though.

    We're having a quiet Christmas at home this year, just the three of us. It's so much fun with a little one around. With me still recovering from my surgery though, we decided against a household of relatives. Last month was hard enough with everyone over for the American holiday of Thanksgiving.

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you enjoyed your low-key Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My wife and I did a day tour of Hanoi a few years ago. I would love to explore the culture in some depth.

    ReplyDelete