My Blog List

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Three wishes for Miss. Winthrop by Shirley Kennedy

Three Wishes for Miss Winthrop

This is the kind of book I desperately need when I have had my share of murder, psychological thrillers and general mayhem. 

There is a Lord and a governess who definitely knows her place. There is the all important mother of the Lord with the eye on the main chance and that includes a very suitable marriage with the lady of her choice. The son seemingly seems to be going along with the plan very amicably until the Governess catches his eye, makes him see the wrongness of his ways in bringing up/ignoring his three children and upsets the entire apple cart of the Granville household.

One other character which came into her own in the story was the invalid sister of the Lord who has also been kept under the thumb of the autocratic mother. She finds love and the courage to go against the mother which I found very comforting!!!

Nice read.

On a non book note, reading still erratic because I am busy doing the baby laundry and baby sitting!!! quite enjoyable but it is going to be dull post Sunday when they all leave.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're having a grand time with your family! I need a light book from time to time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look out for this one - always good to have a fun quick read. Cheers from CArole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  3. A light book is nice sometimes. Besides it's always nice to spend time with family. Reading will always be there when you're less busy.

    ReplyDelete