My Blog List

Sunday, March 9, 2014

BLACKBERRY WINTER by SARAH JIO

Blackberry Winter

I have been wanting to read at least one of the three books I know by this author and am glad I found one at least. The title of this one also drew me in and it was only after reading it that I knew that it actually meant something in meteorological terms.

Set in 1933 Vera Ray is a single mother trying very hard to bring up her little boy Daniel by herself. An uphill task with a demanding job working as a cleaner in a hotel with erratic working hours, she is forced to leave Daniel as three year old by himself when she goes to work. One night Daniel goes missing and is never found. The story takes off from there. As the years go on there is no indication that Daniel is alive or dead and the police are painted as being indifferent, not wanting to take notice of a single mother who in their eyes was negligent.

Fast forward to 2010 and Claire a reporter on a leading Seattle newspaper owned by her husband the Kensingtons is asked by her editor to do an article on the unusual phenomenon of snow in May known as a Blackberry Winter. Wanting to make it a story of human interest rather than just a weather pattern, Claire unwittingly unravels a story hidden for over seventy years - the story of the missing Daniel. 

Connections between Vera and Claire are many and it seems almost fate that brought them together. It also helps to bring about peace in Claire's presently turbulent life.

A story of love between mother and child, loss and deep sadness and despite this a book I was so glad I got to. 

Back to very hot weather after two days of balmy coolness. Hoping the cold will come back soon.

6 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to one of Sarah's books, they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review, I've enjoyed 2 of Sarah's books and I can't wait to read more. Blackberry Winter is on my TBR stack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Blackberry Winter too!
    Glad you were able to find it - there are a couple new ones I'm waiting to read by Sarah now.
    And your other selections are all looking good - not sure I'd have the patience for Gabaldon's chunksters =)
    Glad you had the fun break & great amount of reading accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one but not as much as her first so I hope you keep reading her :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jio seems to always tie the past and present together which doesn't always work for me. Glad it worked for you with this one. It does sound like one I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete