My Blog List

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Review - The House Sitter by Peter Lovesey




I like mysteries and murders and detectives and most often I like it when it is in a series like the P D James version with Adam Dalgleish or Patricia Cornwell with Scarpetta and Marino so this was what attracted me first when it read as a Peter Diamond mystery.

A body discovered on a beach supposedly sunbathing in the presence of hundreds of similar folk and no one ever saw the murder. Handled initially by Hen Mallin a chain smoking detective and later on by the Peter Diamond the story becomes more and more complicated and seemingly random.

The victim Emma is a profiler who has worked with Bath police on several cases and the murder of the next victim is naturally linked to her murder. Trying to get a connection and a grip on the murderer seems tough - the murderer is very cocky and actually leaves a note as to who his next two victims are going to be. All this in verse - Coleridge to be exact and providing round the clock security to two famous figures is easier said than done. When the next murder takes place despite the round the clock security, Diamond and his cohorts realize that they are up against the big time. A murderer who is very clever, smart and streets above the average copper.

Mallin and Diamond work together to solve this mystery - this is the eighth book in the series and I have to look for the rest now. A nice light read for a Sunday - just 346 pages and highly recommended for those who like this genre.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I absolutely love the PD James novels. I'm in the middle of one now, but think I have to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with N.M. Now on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves Peter Lovesey, but I don't believe he has read this one...thanks for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book. One of Peter Lovesey's best in my opinion. Don't miss it! I read this a few years ago and I put it on my Ten Best of that year. Terrific book.

    ReplyDelete