My Blog List

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Review - Agatha Christie's The Moving Finger.




For a book that was first published in 1943 this particular story was for me very contemporary. Jerry an airforce pilot injured in an aircrash and his Joanne move to the countryside for peace, quiet, no gossip, and for a bit of isolation on strict doctor's orders.

What they find in Lymstock is anything but. A quaint old fashioned village on the surface and simmering underneath discontent and everything that is found in the big cities in equal measure!!!

Throw in anonymous letters send to all and sundry of the most disgusting kind, a suicide which turns out to be murder, an actual murder and we have the full quotient of Agatha Christie's mayhem and murder and mystery.

This was a very, very enjoyable read for me. Just 160 pages long it was an ideal, quick, very relaxing read. A smallish font which was very clear nevertheless!

7 comments:

  1. I read a lot of Agatha Christie in high school, and while I can't remember all the titles, I know I never read this one. I really want to revisit her books at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very short indeed, but sometimes short is just great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a long time since I read this, but I do remember liking it. Thank you for the reminder,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting all cozy with an Agatha Christie mystery; glad u liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like mysteries set in the English countryside/villages. Quite a few mystery writers have followed in Christie's footsteps and set their modern myteries in similar settings. Must read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have five leather-bound agatha christie books with my name engraved that my mother bought me for Christmas one year! i was delighted!!! her books are enjoyable indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big Agatha Christie fan - I read and re-read her books all the time. This is a particularly good one. It really highlights the 'menace' that can lurk in small towns.

    ReplyDelete