My Blog List

Monday, July 5, 2010

Review Dicey Deere's The Irish Village Murder


I dont understand this. After never having ever got my hands on anything remotely Irish, I seem to be a magnet for all the Irish related books to be drifting down my way. I am not complaining either.

This book is part of a series (which I discovered whilst reading) and is set in a picturesque, idyllic village of Ballynagh. The story is simple - a wealthy author who lives in this village has been murdered and the obvious suspect seems to be his housekeeper who is also his lover. Add to this that the girl friend has of late found another boyfriend and you add another suspect. However, like all good mysteries things are not so easy for the Gardia as it seems. After all then it will not be mysterious and interesting.

The characters in the book are varied and all are not what you may possibly find in a rural village. Most of them have made their home here as they do want to get out of the rat race and find in its serenity the peace and quiet they are looking for. The main character Torrey Tunet is one of those - an interpreter/translator who speaks seven languages and travels the globe - an unlikely find in this village.

Torrey - someone who just cannot let things be is determined to clear up the mystery much to the Inspector's dismay. Torrey and the inspector have gone head to head before this and he is not enamoured by her way of doing things (and coming out tops either!).

I liked this story simplistic though it was as the pace was varied and quick. A short read of just 214 pages and I finished it in one go. Another find from the Carnegie library here in Melbourne.

3 comments:

  1. I liked this series too but she hasn't written any books for quite a while. Too bad. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. Thanks also for dropping by Beach Vintage and I hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books set in Ireland. This one sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete