My Blog List

Friday, March 19, 2010

Recommend me - Leaving India - Minal Hajratwala

Recommend me is hosted by Kate at The Neverending Shelf.

The book Leaving India would enthrall anyone who has been or one whose ancestors
have been immigrants to a country. I think that encompasses a fairly large section
of a population! The book begins with a tiny village in India so small that it is
not even on a map, moves to Fiji where just one branch of the family moves to for
better economic prospects. From there the story moves temporarily to New Zealand
where the family moves once again, leaving quite a large section of the family behind
in Fiji. Their final destination is America where the family settles for good and
where the children grow up into teenagers and adults trying to assimilate and absorb
what the West has to offer and where their parents try desperately to cling and
preserve their Indian roots and traditions.

The book was absorbing as it is so very down to earth and is a perennial situation
faced by thousands of families who emigrate for whatever reason it could be. For an
Asian this is a commonplace story embellished with small variations depending on the
family and its own traditions. For others it would be a fascinating story of families
trying to get to grips with life in a somewhat alien situation! even trying to find a halal butcher is a problem and the very mundane acts of living is what draws one in.

This is a good book for everyone as it will make one realize that each of us whilst being different in color or race or religion ultimately are human who seek peace of mind and a loving environment above all else for their children and families.

What do you recommend this week for us?

4 comments:

  1. As I am an Indian, I think I will check it out!

    Here is my Recommend mepost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting, especially since my father grew up in a tiny, off-the-map village in India before coming to the US. I'm definitely going to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good book. Thanks!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is another meme I should think about!

    ReplyDelete